Sunday, September 20, 2009

Oh yeah, it's called study abroad :)

I suppose I'm technically here to "study.." forgot about that, just kidding! I am taking 5 classes here, most of which seem pretty interesting. Intro to Renaissance Art is cool because we get to visit all sorts of historic museums and sites in Florence. However, being a large group, our time is very limited. But, there is the Uffizi pass, a card with a set price, that allows for free admission to most of the places, so if I want to go back, I can at my leisure! This is much cheaper than paying each place separately. Some of the places are the Medici Chapels, the Uffizi Gallery, the Accademia, and so much more. I'm really excited for it.

My Italian professor is really laid back :) He plays music the whole time. I've learned a lot so far, but I think the structure is a little weird, but the more Italian I know, the better. While most people like restaurants, stores, etc, speak English, I want to improve my Italian, as right now, it still needs quite a bit of improvement.

Cross Cultural Psychology is the one class I'm afraid I won't be able to stay awake in. While the material is interesting, the professor is very slow and sometimes difficult to understand. But I'll keep an open mind, get some cappuccino or something before it, and I'm sure it will be okay!

I'm really excited about the Great Italian Opera Class! The professor is extremely knowledgeable, and she said that we are hoping to see Rigoletto and La Traviata (my favorite!)

History of the Mafia is also pretty cool so far. We started watching some documentaries as well as part of The Godfather, part 2.

The classes here are quite different. They meet 2.5 hours once a week, except for Italian, which is still 2.5 hours, but it's divided between 2 days. Nobody has class on Fridays, which is really nice! I also have no class on Mondays-yes for long weekends! Tuesdays are my busy day: I have art, Italian, and psychology. Wednesdays only the opera class, and Thursdays Italian and history of the mafia class. But so far, I think it should be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment